Habitat for Humanity International Chief Executive Officer
As Habitat for Humanity International’s chief executive officer since 2005, Jonathan T.M. Reckford marshals his vision, leadership and passion for service to guide our global nonprofit in a rapidly changing world.
"Since our founding in 1976, Habitat has helped 9.8 million people achieve strength, stability and self-reliance through shelter," Reckford says. "With a little help, we all have the potential to stand on our own. It is an incredible experience to help homeowners build or improve a place to live and see how they are then able to build a better life for themselves and their families."
- With a start on Wall Street, Reckford went on to hold executive and managerial positions at Goldman Sachs, Marriott, the Walt Disney Co. and Best Buy.
- He graduated from the University of North Carolina Chapel Hill where he was a Morehead Scholar.
- A recipient of a Henry Luce Scholarship, he did marketing and coaching for the Seoul Olympic Organizing Committee in 1988.
- He earned his MBA from the Stanford University Graduate School of Business before spending much of his career in the for-profit sector.
- Reckford was serving as executive pastor of a 4,300-member church in Edina, Minnesota, when he received a call about the leadership position at Habitat.
- He serves on the boards of the Federal Reserve Bank of Atlanta, Stanford GSB and the Duke Center for the Advancement of Social Entrepreneurship. He is also a member of the Council on Foreign Relations and the Urban Steering Committee for the World Economic Forum.
Follow Jonathan Reckford on Twitter @JReckford.
Letter from Jonathan Reckford
The U.S. is in the midst of the worst affordable housing crisis in its history, and conditions are far worse in the rest of the world. In fact, nearly one in seven people worldwide lacks adequate shelter.
That great need inspires those of us at Habitat for Humanity both to eliminate barriers that prohibit people from accessing affordable housing and to create opportunities for families to improve their living situations. We are inspired by stories of families who have grown stronger and more independent through shelter.
Indeed, stable housing is foundational and intricately connected to improved health, better education outcomes and improved income-earning opportunities. In more than a decade as CEO, I’ve seen incredible transformations that have taken place as a result of Habitat’s work, and I am so grateful for all of you who support our efforts.
You’ve responded in record numbers, and you have proven that every hand can make a difference. As a direct result of your support, Habitat has experienced remarkable growth, improving the housing conditions of 3 million people last year alone. I’m confident we can do more.
Won’t you join us as a volunteer, donor or advocate? Together, we can work alongside families and help them build strength, stability and self-reliance. Together, we can draw closer a world where everyone has a decent place to live.
Jonathan T.M. Reckford