Volunteer, employment and homeownership opportunities
Thank you for your interest in Veterans Build. Through this initiative, Habitat provides volunteers, home ownership and employment opportunities to U.S. veterans, military service members and their families.
Today, 1.4 million veterans live in poverty. Much of this is a result of the cost of housing, despite having access to VA loans and other assistance. Almost 4 million veterans pay at least 30% of their income towards their rent or mortgage, while over 1.5 million pay at least 50%. The latter represents an enormous strain on any budget.
We are grateful to the men and women who have served and protected our country, and are proud to be able to collaborate with them in various ways.
Veterans Build focuses in five key areas
- Home building and remodeling
Though our primary efforts center on building safe, affordable homes in collaboration with future Habitat homeowners, we also partner with The Home Depot Foundation to repair and remodel existing homes to make them more energy efficient, and therefore more cost-effective. Read more about the partnership.
While many returning service men and women feel disconnected upon returning home, this initiative allows them to work together with their families, other volunteers and future Habitat homeowners on the same projects and with the goals, providing a sense of unity during and after the transition. It also allows them an additional opportunity to support and strengthen their community right here at home.
Finding a sense of purpose can be difficult after leaving the military, but employment can help fill that role. We recognize the valuable skills that service members hold, and recruit them for local and international staff positions, volunteers, board members and interns.
Few of us truly understand the dedication and sacrifice given by these men and women. So, we are training our staff and partners to better comprehend and appreciate their mindset when building these relationships. Additionally, we offer financial education and literacy programs to veterans and their families in order to ensure successful Habitat home ownership.
Paying tribute to these men and women is a year-round experience for Habitat through special events, building awareness and volunteer opportunities.
Notable successes and celebrations
- Sixty-eight percent of our local partners actively engage the military or veterans in their programs either as new homeowners (46%) or volunteers (98%).
- Over 500 housing projects have been completed with veteran families, including new builds or renovations.
- In order to better meet the needs of veterans through a holistic approach, we are currently partnering with or reaching out to more than 100 organizations that serve veterans.
- Habitat is the first lender in New York state given the opportunity to use HUD-VASH vouchers for ownership.
Take the next step with Veterans Build
- Find a program near you.
- Participate in a special event.
- Learn about our critical home repair program for veterans.
- Learn more about being a Habitat homeowner. A veteran from any military branch with an honorable or general discharge would be considered eligible.
- Donate to this initiative.
For additional information, please contact VeteransBuild@habitat.org.