High Impact Team, Colombia
Volunteer with a holistic development project that builds decent housing as well as economic growth and communal resources.
Trip cost: US$4,395
This is an exciting time for Colombia. Join this High Impact Team and be a peace-builder as you help Habitat for Humanity Colombia redefine what a volunteer can do!
To bring a brighter future to families living in an informal settlement outside of Bogotá, you and your team will work shoulder to shoulder with neighbors to build a community recreation space and support family housing improvements. Through your learning, you will help inform government officials about the need for change and how Habitat Colombia’s innovative solutions for safe, adequate housing can meet that need.
Take this opportunity to:
- Make a lasting contribution to an entire community.
- Support Habitat for Humanity Colombia's housing improvement program.
- Roll up your sleeves and participate in a building project.
- Come to know the families whose lives you’re changing.
- Learn and advocate with local officials for the need of better housing policies.
- Grow personally and professionally through an experience you won’t have anywhere else.
- Experience some of the most beautiful parts of Bogotá.
- See first-hand the long lasting influence of the first three High Impact teams in Colombia.
As part of Habitat for Humanity International’s new housing strategy, Habitat Colombia offers volunteers a unique experience to engage in innovative housing development practices and support sustainable change in vulnerable communities. Habitat Colombia once again will take you behind the scenes and show you how Habitat is helping Colombian families build strength, stability and self-reliance through strategic partnerships and shelter.
Global Village sends volunteers to build with Habitat for Humanity projects across the world. Get your hands dirty on the work site, meet the families whose lives you are improving, experience the country like an insider and do it all alongside a team of like-minded volunteers and hosts. No experience is required! This build is your next step with Habitat to make the world a better place.
The High Impact Team program cost includes a donation of $3,000 as a sustainable investment in the community that will fully fund the community infrastructure project you will work on as well as supporting family housing improvements.
Remember you can fundraise using Habitat’s powerful fundraising tools and support; you can pay the donation yourself, or a combination of the two. The program cost also includes accommodations, meals, in-country transportation and medical insurance.
- Day 1, Saturday: Arrive in Bogotá, Colombia, by 2 p.m. Habitat staff will pick you up at the airport. Meet up with your team and visit Monserrate by cable car. The day ends with a welcome dinner with Habitat staff. For the duration of your trip you will stay at a comfortable hotel in Bogotá, in double occupancy rooms.
- Day 2, Sunday: Bicycle-only tour of the city, participating in Bogotá’s world famous Ciclovia. Participate in an interactive activity to learn about the Colombian context, Habitat Colombia’s national strategy and its progress.
- Days 3-6, Monday-Thursday: Build a community infrastructure project, with team activities in the evenings.
- Day 7, Friday: Join Habitat Colombia in political action by participating in a half-day advocacy event. Learn about the issues and be at the center of the fight for adequate housing. Return to the community for a farewell lunch and performance. Enjoy a celebration dinner at a famous restaurant that evening.
- Day 8, Saturday: Your journey in Colombia and South America may continue independently, or you may depart for home.
Meals and accommodations
The team will stay in modest, comfortable hotels in double-occupancy rooms. Lunch will be on the build site, while breakfast and dinner will be at the hotel or local restaurants.
We will connect you with a team leader within two business days. The team leader will tell you more about the build and learn about you. After speaking with the team leader, donate or fundraise your deposit to secure your spot on the team. The team leader will help you prepare and lead you during the trip.
This will be Kathy’s and Sara's third High Impact Team trip. Come see for yourself what has inspired them to return to Colombia and lead this year’s team.
Kathy’s favorite Global Village memory: "This will be my third Colombian High Impact Team adventure. It is definitely a life-changing experience! Sitting at the kitchen table with one of the families and being able to share with them that our small group actually represented more than 300 people supporting them and us financially, prayerfully and thoughtfully was such an honor. The smiles, hugs and tears you see in the photos are genuine. It is a week filled with hard work, love and respect that definitely makes a difference in this world we live in!"
Sara’s favorite Global Village memory: “Like Kathy, this will be my third Global Village trip to Colombia. I am honored and grateful to have been welcomed into a vibrant, thriving community and work alongside homeowners who quickly became extended family. Seeing the advancement and additional progress in subsequent years, and witnessing their strength, resourcefulness and resilience gives me hope for their future!”